Wednesday, August 11, 2010

September Looms


It is almost the middle of August and every day we get closer and closer to the end of summer and the beginning of many, many new things. My boy and I have enjoyed this beautiful summer together (and still are!) full of day trips, giggles, big slobbery kisses, and visits with family and friends. I am dreading it being over. On the one hand. On the other hand, I am really excited for what September is about to bring us. The biggest change in our lives is that Bodhi is starting nursery school! I have way more excitement about it than I do anxiety, but still the anxiety is there. I am so excited for him. He is going to the best possible place he can be going, he is going with Clara(!) and he is going to love it. I know he is. He'll be going three mornings a week from 9 - 11:30am and will get to play with other kids, sing songs, read stories and run around burning off all of his little firecracker energy. I have absolutely no anxiety about him enjoying being there. But I am nervous nonetheless.

For the past 2+ years, I have been Bodhi's full-time caregiver. What he knows, Dan and I taught him (good and bad!). His entire world has been shaped by us and the decisions that we have made. For the first time, his world is also going to be shaped by other adults, other children, other experiences that I am not a part of, and although I know this is fantastic for him, it saddens me. It's very difficult to think about letting go, even for just 7.5 hours a week (and I'm counting the minutes!). You want so badly for people to love your children, and who wouldn't love Bodhi, right? Spoken like a true mother. What if he hits another child, or what if he is cranky because he didn't sleep well, what if he asks incessantly for more snack because he didn't eat his breakfast that morning. I have to remember that he is 2. And that his caregivers are professionals who work with 2 year olds day in and day out. And that his curls and smiles are so cute that he is completely delicious and of course they will love him.

On top of this I will be continuing to work from home full-time and launch my pediatric nutrition business which will bring all sorts of new challenges. I am definitely looking more forward to September than I am dreading it, but I am still going to relish every single moment of August that I can while the summer is still upon us. Time to go wake Bodhi from his nap and get some more snuggles in!

No comments: