Tuesday, September 14, 2010

School Daze




Bodhi had his first day of nursery school this morning! Unbelievable. He was able to get himself to stop for half a second to hang up his coat and backpack before tearing off into the classroom. The teacher looked a little confused as I came in 10 feet behind him, wondering who this little rascal belonged to! He, of course, went straight to his cuz and then proceeded to jump from activity to activity, toy to toy as fast as I've ever seen him move. I was able to squeeze a quick hug and kiss from him before I snuck out of the class and left him in the capable hands of his new teachers. I spent a few minutes in the hall outside studying all of the calendars, lists and spreadsheets that they have put up for the parents (this is my kind of school!). Apparently they are used to control freak parents like me because they have a calendar of each days craft activity, another of the book they are reading that day, and another with what they're having for snack. I left the school a complete mess and when straight to Dan's office to talk myself down off the ledge - what if he gets hungry? what if he has a temper tantrum? what if they can't understand what he's saying?

I, of course, was 20 minutes early to pick him up and as I heard the gym door open to let the kids out, all I could hear was the teacher saying "Bodhi, Bodhi, Bodhi, Bodhi". I had to laugh, knowing full well that her morning was probably spent (as mine have been for the past 2 and a half years) trying to get Bodhi to stop bouncing and to follow her - no easy feat! He came out of the gym glowing, came up the stairs saying "Mommy, you came home!" - which I'm assuming meant that he was glad I came back for him - and gave me a big hug. I asked Audrey (his teacher) how the morning was, she said that he did great, needs to learn the routine of the day (he was jumping up and down and running up and down the hall as she was telling me this) and that he DEFINITELY didn't have a problem with separation anxiety! I kind of felt like asking "not even a little bit?". So off we went to go home for lunch and have a chat about school, where I learned that for snack he had "Nemos" (goldfish crackers?), and apparently all he did all day was go down a slide and bounce.

All in all, a successful morning.

No comments: