Wow. 364 days with my sweet boy - I can't believe it! I'm sitting here this morning thinking about what I was doing 1 year ago today. At 4am my water broke and it all began. The short version of a VERY long story is that I spent May 6th, 2008 waiting. And waiting. And waiting. I spent the day being trekked back and forth between home and the hospital, watching endless DVDs and trying desperately to get some sleep before Bodhi would decide to make his way into the world (needless to say, I was so excited that I hardly slept at all).
I guess even more than what I was doing, or where I was, I'm also thinking about WHO I was 364 days ago. 1 year ago today I wasn't a mother. Such a strange thought. I was a wife, a daughter, a sister, a friend, but not a mother - and now this is the one thing that has defined me the most over the past year. 1 year ago today I had no idea what I was in for, where I would be headed and who I would become. This has been the most incredible year of my life.
Although the details of May 6th, 2008 are a bit of a blur for me, I can absolutely remember how I was feeling. When I woke Dan up at 4am I was nothing but excited. I wasn't nervous, I wasn't scared, I was so excited. When the midwife arrived and told me that Bodhi was still resting really high and I would have to go in to the hospital, I started to feel a bit nervous. When we spent the day being trucked back and forth between home and the hospital, I felt impatient. Finally, when we left home at 11:30pm on May 6th, 2008 and I knew the next time I walked through my apartment door it would be with a sweet little boy, I felt - to put it simply - happy.
Tomorrow is Bodhi's first birthday. I feel so happy and so sad at the same time. The first year of my baby's life has been so full of life and so precious and I am so thankful that he has had such a wonderful first year in his world, but I can't help but feel a little sad that it's almost over. I spent so much of this year looking forward to things and I think the biggest lesson that I've learned today is to just savour each present moment, because the next time I turn around he'll be 2!
No comments:
Post a Comment