Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Ode to Treehouse

(For those of you who don't know, Treehouse is the channel of all kids programming)

Oh, Treehouse. I owe you an apology. All during my pregnancy and during the first months of motherhood I shunned your existence. I shouted from the rooftops how my children wouldn't watch you or need you or even enjoy you. I didn't even know what channel you were on.

Oh, Treehouse. How times have changed. Although my son still doesn't need you, I certainly do. You allow me 5 minutes to wash my face, 5 minutes to actually get dressed in the morning and 5 minutes to empty the dishwasher without worrying about little hands grabbing at sharp knives. You bring calmness (or zone-outedness) during the 5 starving minutes before lunch while I get it made. You bring silence to a frustrated, screaming toddler. You bring 5 minutes of sanity on a day of perpetual insanity.

Oh, Treehouse. I was wrong about you. On this crazy, noisy, messy-housed, bored-toddler, can't-leave-the-house-because-we're-waiting-for-a-delivery morning, you are a saviour.

No comments: